Saturday, January 28, 2012

仕方が無い Nothing You Can Do

We have been on break these last few weeks.  Many of us have decided to go traveling, myself included.  I went to Beijing, Harbin, Mingshui (a town outside of Harbin where Ben, Ben's old friend Garth, and I stayed with a friend, Casey's family for new year), and now, Osaka Japan.  I bought a new camera with money I made from tutoring and made sure I had it with me for this trip.
Though I know I haven't put up photos nearly as often as I intended, the original idea for this blog was a place for pictures.  I really love taking pictures, and take great pride in them.
Today, in a moment both of great distraction and even greater stupidity, I erased all the pictures on my camera.  I have not taken my computer with me for this trip, and none of the pictures I've taken these past few weeks were backed up. 
I'm not going to lie.  I literally cried when I realized what I'd done.  I had to then walk a great deal in order to get back to the train station, which helped a great deal.  I've managed to think of a good many philosophical things to console myself.  And fortunately, I was already planning to go to Beijing again in the Spring.  As for Harbin, I will just wait till Garth and Ben upload their pictures to facebook and look at them if I want to remember.
In lieu of showing them, I am just going to describe a couple that I wish you could see.  It may sound a bit silly, but I feel this is the best way to say good bye to them.
I took a panorama shot of the Great Wall, the section beyond the "do not enter" sign, which was overgrown with weeds so high you could easily hide a fully grown person.  From there, outside the brush, you could see older parts of the wall, parts that have not been repaired and are too dangerous to climb.
I took a short video of Ben lighting a firecracker and throwing it.  Casey had shown us how to take apart a string of firecrackers, light an individual section with a cigarette, and throw it before it exploded.  We walked and threw mini-fire crackers in temperatures below zero Fahrenheit.
I took a picture of my friend Ting eating Korean barbecue, looking incredibly happy, even though we spent the afternoon talking about uncertain futures in romance and careers.
I took a picture of my friend Dana, eating pizza.  She is busy studying advanced Japanese.  As always, she is full of stories that are almost to incredible to believe.
I took a picture of my friends Risa and Yuko, as we ate okonomiyaki together.
I took pictures of Lu Xun's house in Beijing, pictures of strange varieties of goldfish in Zhong Shan park, pictures of various turtle statues in the Forbidden City and in museums.

...
........
...........
Just before I returned home from Japan, two years ago, my hard drive crashed.  I lost all of the photos from the whole year in Japan.  I remember thinking at the time that I at least had the memories.  I can still hold onto that.  There's really nothing else I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment