Monday, October 24, 2011

A Long Expected Party

It has been a bit longer than I usually post, for which I apologize.
I have not been having the greatest luck these last few weeks.  My computer first wasn't working.  Then it worked, but wouldn't connect to the internet.  Then it connected to the internet, and a day latter stopped working again.  My camera has developed AI, and knows now when I'm testing it to see if it's working, or if I'm someplace I really would like to take a picture, and will work in the former situation but not in the latter.  I've also been sick.
It has reached that point in the semester that I remember from when I was a student, when classes were no longer new and exciting and I wanted to do other things.  As a teacher, I can't quite slack off like I might have before.  My main dilemma is whether to stick to the boring text book, or run around and find interesting stuff to teach.
I have written some things on paper about my observations on various subjects, but have not typed them.  These include television, news, and the Nanjing Massacre Memorial.  So those will be coming.

In the meantime, I have not talked about Nanjing at all!  Nanjing (南京) was beautiful.  Since there were many people visiting for the holiday, we ended up having to book rooms at two different hostels, which worked out well because we got to see some very different parts of the city that way.  The main place we stayed was right next to the Confucian Temple, and seemed like the place all the hip people like to hang out.  The other place we stayed was near Zhonghuamen (中华门) and had some places with lots of money that were very western, and some places that clearly had less money but very delicious food.  Will and I saw the Confucian temple and the Nanjing Massacre Memorial together, but otherwise explored on our own.  We also saw Marta, a Beloit alumni who taught in Kaifeng for two years and is now going to grad school in Nanjing.
The photos I'm posting are from the Confucian temple and from Zhonghuamen, where they were flying kites the day I visited.  After Zhonghuamen, my camera decided to not work at places like the Nanjing Memorial, etc.
Tada!  I know these aren't very polished posts, or frequent, and I apologize for that.

Train Station 
Downtown, right next to our first hostel

First night in Nanjing

Confucian temple.  There was one night they were having a disco party in there.

Inside the Confucian temple

Looking out on the back street

The best trash bin ever!

Zhonghuamen

Nanjing skyline from Zhonghuamen

Getting an octopus kite off the ground at Zhonghuamen

Zhonghuamen city wall

No comments:

Post a Comment