Saturday, November 19, 2011

How the System Works

I believe previously I described the classes I am teaching as reading and conversation, but I don't think I've explained before the schools I am teaching at.  At Henan University, there are three different schools at which you can get a degree as an English major.  The first, where I teach conversation, is the Foreign Language College.  This school is particularly well known for teaching English and the students there received very high scores on their college entrance exam.  The second, where I teach reading, is Minsheng, which has the exact same curriculum and for the most part the same teachers as the Foreign Language School but the students received lower scores on their entrance exam and pay about two to three times as much as the Foreign Language School students.  The third school is the College of American and European Studies, where Eaaf teaches conversation, which is new and therefore has a less defined curriculum and has students with even lower scores and higher tuition fees.
I myself can only compare the Foreign Language School and the Minsheng students.  For the most part, I find the main difference to be personality.  The Foreign Language School students as a whole are quieter and the Minsheng students are more creative.
Their future on the other hand, at least when I talk to the Minsheng students I am friends with, is overshadowed by which level of school they were in.  I cannot imagine what it would be like to have one's future written by the score of a single test.  It frankly terrifies me.  I sincerely hope they do well in their careers in the future, because they are as a whole wonderful intelligent students.  But what I know is that on several occasions when with a friend from Minsheng, they will hesitate and point out how they did not go to the Foreign Language College, so maybe their dream of becoming a translator or English teacher will be more difficult...

No comments:

Post a Comment